The origin of the Pinacoteca Tosio Martinengo dates back to 1851 and was housed in Palazzo Tosio and was composed of the art collection of Count Tosio with the addition of other paintings from suppressed churches and demolished buildings. In 1884, Count Leopardo Martinengo made a bequest to the municipality of his palace in the city centre and decided to transfer the municipal art collection there. Today’s art gallery was inaugurated in 1908 and over the years was enriched with new donations.
The collection presents works of Brescia and Lombard painting from the 14th to the 18th century. Among the artists represented are Vincenzo Foppa, Moretto, Lorenzo Lotto, Giovan Battista Moroni, Il Romanino and Il Pitocchetto. In the art gallery, there are also two works attributed to Raffaello Sanzio, an angel portrait, a fragment of an altarpiece transferred to canvas, and a small oil on wood depicting a blessing Christ.